I am full of vacation envy over this year’s fourth annual Crafting Community at the Ace Hotel in Palm Springs. This is the ultimate escape from your work, schedules and busy lives in the city. Crafting Community is a unique family retreat here in southern California. It’s so close it couldn’t be more convenient…just pack your bags and get ready to take time off with your family to unleash your creative side and grow closer as a family! When I first learned of this getaway, it was music to my ears. As you know, we here at Pier to Peer love a good crafting project! So the opprotunity to escape to Palm Desert with my family to relax, have fun and be creative is a dream!
As an added bonus, the Splendid Brand (one of my fave’s) is co-hosting! Splendid + Kimmel Kids have joined together to create “a desert oasis of crafting, creativity + community” in the beautiful hideaway of Palm Desert. Here’s a taste of what to expect that weekend….
INTERACTIVE WORKSHOPS include underwater photography, succulent gardens, t-shirt + sneaker customization, henna tattoos, leatherworking, creative cookies and macramé.
ARTIST KAREN KIMMEL will lead the group along with a talented team: Tanya Aguiñiga, Cathy Callahan, Clare Vivier, Sarah Shreves, Rene Holguin from RTH, and Christine Schmidt from Yellow Owl Workshop.
FITNESS AND RECREATION includes skateboarding, relay races, obstacle courses and a ping-pong tournament brought to you by Undefeated and The Yard.
POOLSIDE FUN kicks off with morning yoga and continues into the evening with a family BBQ, game night, and a desert disco. Milk + Bookies will host storytelling under the stars and A+R’s Toy Lab will feature a beautiful selection of innovative toys. On-site we’ll have a lending library and even custom Kimmel Kids’ tipis!
- Custom tipis created by Karen Kimmel for play and fun out-of-the-sun
- A Toy Lab curated by Rose Apodaca of A+R
- Modern henna tattoo workshop with artist Tanya Aguiniga (& fun with vintage fabrics workshop)
- Crochet 101 with Liz Halpern
- Sew Splendid, hosted by The Splendid Brand, a pop up studio encouraging kids and parents to decorate their own Splendid gear out of their yummy & colorful fabric
- Leatherworks with Clare Vivier
- The art of Family Crests with Rene Holguin from RTH
- Undefeated family relay races, pool basketball & ping pong tournaments
Check out this video for more information and to see clips of the 2011 event!