Chicken parmesan is one of my all-time favorite Italian meals! I learned to make a magically delicious batch of chicken parm a few years ago from my friend. Here’s the recipe that she shared with me. I hope you enjoy it!
- 6 chicken breasts, fat cut off, and pounded out
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups club crackers – crumbled
- 1 cup breadcrumbs or Panko flakes
- ½ cup parmesan
- 2 cups flour
- 1 lb. shredded mozzarella cheese
- Pasta of your choice – spaghetti, bowtie, penne, etc.
- Pasta sauce of your choice
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil for cooking chicken
- Cut off fat and pound out chicken breasts. Salt and pepper both sides of chicken. In a shallow bowl, lightly beat the eggs with a fork. Spread the flour on a plate. On a separate plate mix together and spread the breadcrumbs, crushed club crackers, parmesan cheese (1/2 a cup give or take, I always wing it), and basil (or italian seasoning, I wing this too).
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Dredge the chicken, one at a time, in the flour, then dip into the eggs and coat evenly with the bread crumb / crushed crackers / parmesan mixture. Set aside on baking sheet.
- In large sauté pan over medium-high heat, pour oil to a depth of ½ inch and warm the oil. I usually start with less than that, but need to add more as I cook all of the chicken pieces. Add the chicken and reduce the heat to medium. Cook, turning once, until the crumbs are golden brown and the chicken feels firm when pressed in the center, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Reduce heat as needed to prevent the crumbs from burning.
- Transfer the chicken to large baking sheet. Spread ¼ cup of the pasta sauce on top of each piece and sprinkle with the mozzarella cheese. Bake until the cheese is melted and bubbling, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook your choice of pasta to serve the chicken over. In small saucepan over medium heat, warm the remaining pasta sauce for serving over the pasta.